Do drinking water and weight loss go together? Most of us realize that water is very important when we are trying to lose weight. But do you know why it is so important to drink plenty of water to lose weight? Here are just a few reasons drinking water and weight loss go together:
1. If you are trying to lose weight you should know about your metabolism. The metabolism is the process your body uses to convert your food into energy. A faster metabolism means more food is converting into energy which will help you lose weight faster. Your body needs to metabolize stored fat into energy. Your body's metabolism can be slowed down by dehydration. As your metabolism slows down so does your weight loss until eventually you can not seem to lose anymore weight.
2. Another reason why drinking water and weight loss seem to go together is because sometimes we think we are hungry, when actually we are thirsty. If you drink enough water you may not be as hungry all the time. Water also helps you digest food better. Drinking water before you eat will help you feel full.
3. Water helps rid the body of harmful waste. Most of us have a lot of potentially dangerous toxins building up in our bodies. Water hydrates the cells in your body and helps the cells push the harmful toxins through your body more efficiently. Sometimes getting rid of these toxins can help us lose weight.
4. Water is essential to the process that enables your muscles to contract. So water helps maintain muscle tone.
5. Water also helps to prevent the sagging skin that often follows weight loss - water plumps the skin cells, giving the skin a younger and healthier look.
You should be drinking at least 6 - 8 8 ounce glasses of water each day. You should drink more during the hot days and when you exercise.
The simplest way to tell if you are drinking enough water is check the color of your urine: It should be clear or a very pale yellow in color. If you are on medication or take supplements it can interfere with this.
Remember, there are reasons why drinking water and weight loss go together. If you are trying to lose weight, make sure you drink enough water.